Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Our history begins on the Youghiogheny, page 12


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



sociation with the Jersey Church of Turkeyfoot (Confluence, Penn.) The first church to be organized in Garrett County was on Frazee's Ridge and most likely the Frazees were the first lay-founders of the first Christian Society in the County. It could have been as early as 1773. Concerning The Rev. John Taylor the following is taken from Life Magazine (Special Issue: Christianity, December 1955), page 73:

"Some of the Baptist frontier preachers were prodigious men. The great John Taylor, 'strong of body and bold as a lion', dominated an area between the Kentucky and Ohio Rivers. A Bunyanesque farmer, he cleared nearly four hundred acres of heavy Kentucky forest with his own hands; in a single day's work he put up one hundred panels of split rail fence, each panel containing six rails 11 feet long. When he preached on Sunday, 'no man knew better than he how to reprove, rebuke, and exhort'."

The Rev. John Taylor published an account of his travels in 1823. It was entitled "The History of Ten Baptist Churches." We learn among other things that he regularly used McCullough Packhorse Path when he was in this section of the country; thus he went through Garrett County on numerous occasions. This is the earliest record of a preacher in the county.

Blooming Rose today is one of the most scenic parts of Garrett County. Today, as in the beginning, the farms are well cultivated, and everywhere there is trimness and tidiness associated with the works of man. Natives and tourists are hardly aware of its existence. Here was established as early as 1795 the first school in Garrett County. It was this school that Meschack Browning attended for six weeks under Robinson Savage, the first teacher in the County.

THE OLDEST TOWN

Selbysport on the Youghiogheny River, two miles below Friendsville, was the first organized community in Garrett County. It being favorably situated along the river and adjacent to a principal path used by Indians across the mountains it received early attention by the pioneers. This white man's village grew over the remains of the most extensive Indian village ever known to exist in Garrett County. Both the Indian and most of the white man's village is now under water since the Youghiogheny River has been impounded.

The first record of a white man here was Evan Shelby, noted Indian fighter, who after having patented his land and selling it to the Frazee family emigrated to Tennessee and Kentucky where his son Isaac became the first governor of one of these embryo states. This patent was made in 1773. A short distance down stream at the mouth of Mill Run, Jacob Frohman surveyed and patented some land which he




ID:
gctg251

Creator:
Felix G. Robinson

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image