Our history begins on the Youghiogheny, page 14
negro slave, Black Jim. One of the important landmarks remaining of the half dozen or so houses on the higher ground is the Matthews House.
The Post Office was opened December 10th. 1833 which, strangely enough, was three years after that of the Friend's Settlement. The first postmaster was Moses A. Ross who later became a General in the Civil War and resided at Addison. Other early postmasters were David Hoffman, Aza C. Frey, Ralph Thayer, John P. Lowdermilk, John V. Smith, Charles H. Thayer, Lucretia A .Thayer, Thomas Coddington, Hiram M. Tasker, (Founder of The Garrett County Herald, 1873, Oakland, Md., the first newspaper printed in the county after the County was formed) and John C. Dunham (1872). Selbysport was the largest community in the County up to the Civil War.
Dr. Rebecca Thayer of Oakland states that the Thayers migrated from Massachusetts arriving in the county in December 1818 coming by way of the state road from Westernport. There were three families, two were Thayers and the other Israel Thompson. They were persuaded by George Calmes, whose residence was on this road near Deer Park, to remain and settle here. Rebecca's great-grandfather first settled on what is known as the Spiker place near where Dan Smouse now resides. Thence the family moved to Selbysport and conducted a store. This was Stephen Thayer. His son Ralph and family later removed to Oakland where Frederick A. Thayer Sr., the prominent attorney made his career. He was the father of Dr. Rebecca Thayer, Ralph Thayer, and Frederick A. Thayer Jr.
Norval Speelman wrote about the many mills that operated on Mill Run, a tributary to the Youghiogheny coming in from the east side about a mile below Selbysport. This story was printed in Vol. 1 No. 21 of The Glades Star. The Morgantown Road that branched off of the National Pike at John Simpson's Tavern followed this stream and then branched south to cross the Youghiogheny at Selbysport. Another landmark to determine where this road branched off the National Road was the Bear Camp made famous as the last camp site of General Braddock in Garrett County on his way to the Monongahela in 1755. It was also at this Camp, shortly before the battle, that Washington was convalescing under the care of Dr. James Craik. On the day appointed for Washington to leave for the front it was necessary to strap him securly in his saddle as he was too weak to sit upright without support.
Along the Youghiogheny, commencing as early as Frohman's Mill at Selbysport, there were many industries powered by water. These
Felix G. Robinson
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Western Maryland, 1750-1963