Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Some Recollections of Deer Park


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Some Recollections of Deer Park, Maryland

(Final Installment)

By

Robert Browning Garrett

Water for the hotel originally was pumped from the Little Youghiogheny to a reservoir on the hill above the hotel. Drinking fountains were supplied from a spring nearby through a gravity line. In searching for a better water supply, however, the Baltimore and Ohio in 1884 drilled an artesian well near the railroad tracks which from a depth of about 2400 feet produced an excellent stream of water which gushed from the pipe. For some reason, however, whether in an effort to enlarge the stream or to dislodge a drilling tool, a large quantity of explosive was set off in the well. The result was to diminish the flow to a tiny but constant stream. This was piped from the well on the south side of the tracks to the north side, as a safety measure, and a little spring house was erected where guests, employees and railroad men became accustomed to stop for a cool drink. This little spring house and its pathetic stream of water long since have disappeared before the surge of progress, and today there is no visible reminder of the well that marked the first attempt in this region to penetrate the earth to such a depth. Nevertheless, this was the predecessor of the many wells drilled a few miles away in recent years in quest of natural gas rather than drinking water.

The Baltimore and Ohio then turned its attention to the Boiling Spring, a really remarkable spring of absolutely pure, clear, cold water that gushes cut of the beautiful white sand at the foot of the Little Backbone Mountain some three miles south of the hotel. The railroad company in 1886 purchased this spring and about 100 acres of virgin hemlock and rhododendron surrounding it, and the following year laid a five inch cast iron pipe line which brought the water by gravity to a reservoir near the artesian well. From this it was forced by a stream, later an electric pump into two standard railroad water tanks set up on supports on the highest part of the hotel grounds about a mile away. Until the hotel closed, this great spring supplied in abundance all the water used by the establishment for every purpose whatever, including




ID:
gctg261

Creator:
Robert Browning Garrett

Date:
1963

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image