Deer Park, page 2
the swimming pools, the laundry, the stables and all the surrounding cottages. Since 1892 its water has been used exclusively in all Baltimore and Ohio dining cars, being bottled near the old reservoir at the railroad. The daily flow has been estimated at about 150,000 gallons.
For many years the spring was protected by a rustic building with sides of very heavy wire netting through which the water could be seen bubbling out of the white sand. However, in 1916, with more zeal than good judgment, the Baltimore and Ohio replaced the old building with a concrete structure with a floor which effectively seals from view the beauty of this unique and precious spring. About 1943 the railroad management behaved with unbelievable stupidity so far as the Boiling Spring is concerned. It actually engaged a crew of woodsmen to cut down and saw into lumber the virgin timber which had surrounded the spring. Some of the growth above the spring was allowed to stand, but one familiar with the scene in years past would not recognize the spot were he to return today. Nearby, years ago, were two small springs close together known as the "Twin Springs." Due no doubt to lumbering operations one of the springs, the writer noticed some time ago, has gone dry. Let us hope that the flow of the Boiling Spring will not be too seriously affected by the blundering mismanagement of its owners. Aside from this consideration, it is obvious that the natural beauty of the spot has been ruined. If let alone, nature will repair the damage but this will take generations.
So popular was the Deer Park Hotel from the very beginning that it could not accommodate all those who flocked to the mountains. Accordingly in 1881-82 the East and West Annexes were erected, each with rooms, thus doubling the capacity of the Main Building alone. In addition, the West Annex contained a large ballroom on the first floor where dances were held once or twice a week. Conventions and similar gatherings held business meetings in the ball room. During the summer of 1905 an itinerant moving picture company gave an exhibition of moving pictures in the ballroom. Even the sophisticated guests of the hotel were interested, and to those natives and particularly the writer and several other youngsters, all of whom were seeing their very first moving pictures, including that classic "The Great Train Robbery," the event was unforgettable.
In 1884 five large cottages, numbered 1 to 5, were built by the Baltimore and Ohio on the hill just north of the hotel. To these were added by purchase the five smaller Davis cottages previously mentioned. These were remodeled and enlarged, and were lettered "A" to "E"
Robert Browning Garrett
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Western Maryland, 1750-1963