Deer Park, page 4
Delawder's little Lake Cleveland where he caught some nice trout. This lake was formed by damming up Deep Creek at a point about opposite the little Thayerville cemetery. The site today is submerged under 30 or 40 feet of the present Deep Creek Lake.
President and Mrs. Harrison and their family visited Deer Park Hotel in 1889. They stayed in cottage "D" which later was occupied by President Samuel Spencer of the Baltimore and Ohio who at one time owned the Fundenberg place near Deer Park. Mr. Spencer later became President of the Southern Railway and met a tragic end when a passenger train on that road was wrecked and he was burned to death in his private car in the fire that followed.
Cottage "A" was occupied by 1st Vice President William P. Keyser of the Baltimore and Ohio, the man for whom Keyser, W. Va. was named. Mr. Keyser's sister married John W. Williams, of Philadelphia, and Mr. and Mrs. Williams occupied Cottage "A" for a year or two, and then rented the adjoining Cottage "B" where they stayed for two summers. Cottage "B" then was rented to the well known seven time mayor of Baltimore City, Ferdinand C. Latrobe, who returned year after year until the cottage became known as the "Latrobe Cottage."
One of these cottages also was occupied for a number of years by the colorful Colonel Thomas R. Sharp. He was the man who, as a Confederate officer, engineered the plan to transport 14 engines, stolen from the Baltimore and Ohio at Martinsburg, to Strasburg, Virginia, there to be placed on the rails of the Manassas Railway which was in Confederate territory. The engines actually were moved the 38 miles to that point, over ordinary dirt roads, by horse power, in the summer of 1861, often under fire. After the war, President John W. Garrett hired his erstwhile foe, as Master of Transportation, to direct the operation of trains on the road from which a few years earlier he had stolen these engines. Colonel Sharp is credited with introducing cabooses on the Baltimore and Ohio, about 1877. Noting the half frozen trainmen coming into Piedmont from the west one cold winter day, he at once gave orders that some old boxcars be cut in two, provided with trucks and furnished with a stove, bunks, etc. Within two days nearly all terminals had been supplied with enough of these rude cabooses to provide the train crews with a place in which to ride when on the road and rest when not on duty. Previously they had had to ride the rear car of the train, in all kinds of weather, with no protection whatever.
Cottage "C" was occupied by Colonel William A. Hanway, of Baltimore. Cottage "D" and its occupants already have been mentioned.
Robert Browning Garrett
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Western Maryland, 1750-1963