Deer Park, page 7
carelessness of tenants, it caught fire and burned to the ground on Christmas Day, 1939.
Mr. Garrett's younger son, Thomas Harrison Garrett, the head of the firm of Robert Garrett & Sons, about 1883 built near his father's home one of the finest and largest of Deer Park's summer homes. It contained about 25 rooms and was noted for its beautiful stairway and paneling. Mr. Garrett was drowned in Chesapeake Bay, June 7, 1888, at the age of 39, when his yacht, the Gleam, was in a collision with the steamer Joppa. His elder brother, Robert, who had succeeded his father as President of the Baltimore and Ohio in 1884, was forced by ill health to resign, October 12, 1887. He came to Deer Park in the summer of 1896 to spend some time at his late brother's home, but he grew steadily weaker and died here on July 29, 1896, aged 49. Mrs. Thomas Harrison Garrett turned the property over to her sister, Mrs. A. N. Turnbull, of Baltimore, who with her three sons and three daughters spent every summer here until her death. The family continued to return to Deer Park until the closing of the Deer Park Hotel following the crash of 1929 made it impracticable to reopen the cottage. It eventually was sold to James P. Treacy of Oakland, who partially razed it and sold the lumber. Some time later the remainder of the building was destroyed by fire.
About the year 1880 a group of summer visitors arranged for the erection of a beautiful little frame chapel on the hotel grounds beside the tiny stream from the spring further back in the grove. Mrs. William P. Keyser was one of those most interested in the project, and Senator Davis donated much if not all of the lumber needed. George Marley laid the stone foundation and the chapel was built by L. H. Schoolfield and Frank Thrasher. It was finished in dark stained wood, without plaster, and had a gable roof and high, dimly lighted ceiling reminiscent in its small way of the ceilings of some of the old churches in Europe. It was intended for the use of all denominations. It was seldom used, however, except by the Episcopalians and Catholics. The Episcopal ministers from Oakland often conducted services here. The Catholic pastors from Oakland said Mass on Sundays during the summer, their visits often being supplemented by those of priests visiting at the hotel or cottages.
To the Deer Park Hotel came the elite. Built to cater to those who could appreciate and afford to pay for the best things in life, no expense was spared by the management to provide the finest produce the country could supply. Besides the best local vegetables, milk and cream,
Robert Browning Garrett
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland
22 x 15 cms
Western Maryland, 1750-1963