Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Deer Park, page 8


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

      



meats and seafood were supplied by the packing houses. and distant markets, notably Baltimore, these being rushed to Deer Park in refrigerated cars or by express. Although sometimes embarrassed by "Local Option," the hotel due to its status as a club was able to operate legally its cafe for the slaking of its patrons' thirst after a session on the golf links, the tennis courts or elsewhere. All passenger trains stopped at the Deer Park Hotel Station which had been provided from the very beginning for the convenience of the guests. Through Pullman service to all principal cities enabled business men to spend most of the week at their offices and the week ends with their families at Deer Park.

The cottages were rented by the season and as a rule the occupants brought their own servants and did their own housekeeping. Others preferred to take all their meals at the hotel. Many shipped their favorite riding and driving horses, with their carriages, to Deer Park by rail for the summer. Later they shipped in the same way their automobiles: — Packards, Locomobiles, White and Stanley Steamers, Panhards, Wintons and Pierce-Arrows. This seems unbelievable today, but it must be recalled that in those early days there was not a foot of improved road in Garrett County except the roads through the hotel grounds which were a sort of modified macadam maintained in excellent condition. It was not until about 1906 that good roads began to push their way into




ID:
gctg269

Creator:
Robert Browning Garrett

Notes:
The Episcopal Chapel located on the grounds of the Deer Park Hotel. Opened in summer for the convenience of the guests. Courtesy of R. B. Garrett.

Date:
1963

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image