Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Deer Park, page 9


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Garrett County. The Baltimore and Ohio built the roads to Broad Ford and Mountain Lake Park, and the mountain road to Loch Lynn, and maintained them as good dirt roads in summer for the use of the guests. In winter no one expected the roads to be kept open or free from snow, as the sleds and sleighs went right through or over the snow. In spring and late fall mud and ruts were taken for granted.

In the late 1890's, when golf was beginning to catch the fancy of the sportsmen of America, a course of nine holes was laid out on the grounds in front of the hotel. In 1916 this was enlarged to 18 holes, making it a moderately difficult course. To the boys of Deer Park and the nearby country, caddying brought money for many things that otherwise would have been unattainable. A beautiful grove surrounded the hotel and cottages, all of which were connected by a network of carefully tended walks covered with aromatic and resilient red tanbark from the tanneries—a byproduct now unknown. A fountain, surrounded by flowers and shrubs, sparkled in front of the Main Building in the sun by day and in the brilliance of the arc lights at night. Huge American and DEER PARK HOTEL flags waved from 85 foot poles on the lawn. 24 hour telegraph service, supplemented by long distance telephone when such service became available, kept the clientele in constant touch with the rest of the world. The three hotel buildings, the swimming pools and bowling alleys were connected by elevated, covered passageways providing accessibility at all times.

Professor Charles A. Zimmerman, gifted musician and composer, best known for his "Anchors Aweigh," composed by him in honor of the graduating class of 1906 at the Naval Academy, brought a number of his finest musicians to Deer Park each summer from 1893 until 1907 (in which year the Naval Academy Band was brought into the Navy instead of being on a civilian employee basis as previously). Daily concerts were given in the lobby of the Main Building, and occasionally in the bandstand on the lawn. The band also played for the weekly dances in the ballroom. Other players from the band, in charge of the Professor's understudy, were stationed at the Oakland Hotel for some years. From time to time on special occasions all the players would be brought together and would double in brass. Professor Zimmerman was given the rank of Lieutenant in the Marine Corps when his band was given enlisted status. When at Deer Park it was his custom to play the organ in St. Peter's Catholic Church at Oakland on Sundays. He was Bandmaster at the Naval Academy from 1887 until his death in January,




ID:
gctg270

Creator:
Robert Browning Garrett

Date:
1963

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image