Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Deer Park, page 11


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



1910, the Baltimore and Ohio seemed to lose interest in Deer Park. When the hotel opened next year it was under the management of A. S. Stanford of the American Hotels Company, which also operated it during the season of 1912. From 1913 until 1919 the Hotel was under the management of the John H. Murphy Company. This firm was the operator of various station restaurants along the line of the Baltimore and Ohio, and knew and cared but little about catering to the type of visitors who were accustomed to stay at Deer Park. Then came several years of management by the Deer Park Company, in which the late D. E. Offutt, Jr. and A. T. Watson were partners. On April 9, 1924 the entire property was sold by the Baltimore and Ohio to Henry S. Duncan, an experienced hotel man, who spent a great deal of money in renovating and refurnishing the hotel buildings. For a time it looked as though Deer Park might regain its lost popularity. Mr. Duncan, however, like many others, was ruined in the disaster of 1929 and lost title to the hotel which eventually was sold for taxes. A group of local men bought the property at a tax sale and in 1931 sold it to the National Slovak Association which contemplated using the buildings as a home for its aged pensioners. Due it was said to internal dissension, these plans never materialized. For some years potential purchasers appeared briefly on the scene, but the hotel was too large for them. No one with sufficient resources and vision came forward. Eventually even those to whom the old place was dearest were forced to admit secretly that the cause was hopeless. No one wanted old Deer Park.

Then came Thomas J. Johnson of Morgantown, W. Va., who purchased the property about the time World War II broke out. He cut down the beautiful old trees and sawed them into lumber. He tore down the hotel buildings one by one and sold the lumber to persons throughout Garrett County and the surrounding territory. The little chapel went to a Mr. Rollman who tore it down and built a stable out of the lumber. The bell went to a Methodist Church near Cumberland. Several of the cottages were sold and torn down. The others were sold or rented and still stand, all of them occupied, but for the most part dilapidated and forlorn. The process of razing the buildings really began when the hotel laundry was sold and torn down for the lumber. That was in 1936. By 1944 the demolition of the buildings had progressed to approximately its present stage. The grove is a tangle of underbrush and second growth, with piles of brush left over from the lumbering operations. The foundations are overgrown with briers and weeds and here and there




ID:
gctg272

Creator:
Robert Browning Garrett

Date:
1963

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image