Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
The Casselman Hotel


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

      



The Casselman Hotel

GRANTSVILLE, MARYLAND

The oldest Hotel in Garrett County in continuous operation. It was opened to the public by Solomon Sterner in 1842. The following public houses were operating in Garrett County on the National Pike over a hundred years ago. Commencing at the Garrett-Allegany line they were:

Conrad's at Sand Spring; The Brumley Inn; Johnson's House on Red Ridge; Stone House Tavern of Jesse Tomlinson; The Woodin Inn; Little Crossings Hotel; The Solomon Sterner Inn (now The Casselman Hotel); The National House, founded by Henry Fuller; The Sheetz and Haldeman Inns on Negro Mountain; The Stoddard-Fairall Inn on Keysers Ridge; The Simpkins Tavern at the junction of the Pike and the old Morgantown Road, and close to the Mason-Dixon Line.

The Casselman Hotel is one of the county's historic landmarks. Much of the atmosphere of the old Pike days is reflected in its antique collection and furnishings.

WILDA GETTY FAHEY, Proprietor




ID:
gctg291

Creator:
Editor: Felix G. Robinson

Date:
1956

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland

Original Size:
22 x 15 cms

Subject:
Maryland, History

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1750-1963

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image