Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Hancock Bridge, 1936


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



The top image is from an undated postcard showing the three span bridge over the Potomac from Hancock to West Virginia. The booklet, "A Sketch of Hancock, Maryland, September, 1925", author unknown, notes that "the Big Bridge across the Potomac is now owned by the States of Maryland and West Virginia and is free to the public."

The lower picture, taken by Arthur White, shows the center span of the bridge underwater. The Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland for the years 1935-1936, produced by the Maryland State Roads Commission noted:
During the floods of March, 1936, bridges over the Potomac River at the following locations were carried away or partially demolished. Point of Rocks, Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown, Hancock and Wiley's Ford.




ID:
acfl062

Creator:
Lower image - Arthur White

Notes:
Postcard and photograph made available by Marian Golden, Arthur White's daughter.

Date:
1936-03

Collection Location:
Hancock

Subject:
Floods, Maryland, Cumberland, History; Cumberland (Md.),History.

Coverage:
Western Maryland, 1936

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image