Sale of McCoy's Ferry, 1852
VALUABLE REAL ESTATE!
BY VIRTUE OF A DECREE of Washington County Court, sitting as a Court of Equity, the undersigned having been appointed Trustee to sell the Real Estate of Denton J. McCoy, deceased, will offer at public sale, in front of D. Flory’s Tavern, in the town of Clearspring, at 2 o'clock P. M .
On Saturday the 21st day of February next the following described Valuable Real Estate, to wit
280 ACRES OF GOOD LAND
About 100 Acres of which are cleared, and about 30 or 40 Acres River Bottom Land, lying about 3 miles, west of Clearspring on the Potomac river. The improvements consist of a comfortable Two Story Weatherboarded
A WOOLLEN FACTORY, SAW MILL, the FERRY ACROSS THE POTOMAC, and also the FERRY HOUSE on the Virginia side. There is also a GOOD DWELLING HOUSE convenient to the Factory with TWO other HOUSES intended for tenants, with other necessary outbuildings
This property has been long and familiarly known as McCoy's Ferry and has always been considered one of the most desirable situations in Washington County, not only on account of the fertility of the soil, but in consideration of its peculiar location, for business of almost any kind, having the advantage of immense Water Power. The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal passes through it, which renders it valuable in view of the facility offered in the early transportation of produce to the eastern markets.
The terms of sale, as prescribed by the Decree are, one third of the purchase money to be paid in hand on the day of sale or the ratification thereof, the balance in two equal annual payments, the whole to bear interest from the day of sale, and the payments there of to be secured by the notes or bonds of the purchaser, with such security as the Trustee shall approve ; and upon the ratification of such sale or sales and upon the payment of the whole purchase money, a deed will be executed to the purchaser or purchasers.
If the above property is not sold on the day of sale, it will then be for rent.
DENTON JACQUES, Trustee
January 28, 1852.
Herald of Freedom & Torch Light
C&O National Historic Park
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History