Frostburg United Methodist Church (150th anniversary, 1835-1985)
is known of this first church building, it was said to have a "peculiarly shaped half-circle large window just above the front door." The church continued until 1842 to be one of the points on the Old Allegany Circuit.
It was then separated to become the center of the "Frostburg Circuit," which included a number of churches in the west end of the original circuit, such as those in Cresaptown, Eckhart, Westernport, Mt. Savage and the Broadwater Meeting House near Grantsville.
The Second Church. More construction came in the 1850's. At the beginning of the decade, building was complete on the original frame parsonage. In 1855, under the guidance of Rev. Samuel B. Dunlap, crews dismantled the small stone church building and erected in its stead a larger frame structure. This second church, some six years later, was large enough to support a full-time minister, Rev. Wilford Downs, and became "the Frostburg Station." The congregation numbered 275 members in 1861.
The Present Church Building. In the summer of 1870 during the pastorate of Rev. E. J. Gray, work began on the present building under the direction of trustees James D. Armstrong, John Neff, Thomas Humberfeson, Owen Hitchins, James J. Hoblitzell, John Wright, Philip Michael and John L. Brook, several of whom were later memorialized in the church's stained glass windows. With Church members participating in the construction work, the building was ready for dedication on December 17, 1871. Bishop E. R. Ames officiated at dedication services attended by the congregation, area supporters and Baltimore, Washington and local clergymen. Completion of the new church was a newsworthy event in the region. The Frostburg Mining Journal featured the event in an "Extra" edition on December 18, 1871, describing the new addition to Frostburg in this fashion:
The style of the church is Decorative Gothic, with tower in the centre of the front, which, with spire added, reaches an altitude of 167 feet. The base, window-sills, window- caps, arch-keys, and trimming for front and pilasters are finely cut gray limestone from the adjoining mountains. The main walls are built of good Cumberland brick...
A survey of this room (the sanctuary) presents a scene rarely looked upon in rural towns. The fresco exhibits shades and hues of every color; its pictured arches, columns, bases, capitals all must impress the spectator with an idea of the beautiful and grand... He who loves to look through the "storied windows richly dight (adorned)" finds here everything to enhance his loftiest spiritual aspirations.
Anniversary Committee, Frostburg United Methodist Church
28 x 22 cms
Frostburg (Md.); Frostburg (Md.), History; United Methodist Church (U.S.), History. .
Frostburg (Md.), 1835-1985