Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Frostburg United Methodist Church (150th anniversary, 1835-1985)


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Church members made unusual sacrifices to finance this building. Built at a cost of $42,231, the congregation had a debt of over $31,500 after the dedication. The financial panic of 1873 and the great labor strike of 1882, which prostrated regional industry, made repayment of the debt difficult, although some individual church members mortgaged their homes and others took equally hard measures to eventually discharge the debt.

To be sure, modifications and improvements in the church property came over the years, including:
1891-1894 — construction of the present parsonage;
1900-1910 — installation of a heating system;
1907       — with Carnegie Foundation funds, installation of the first pipe organ;
1925       — redecoration of the church interior and installation of the first floor stained glass windows;
1949-1955 — completion of the Education Building during the pastorate of Rev. John Bayley Jones;
1955-1959 — refurbishing of the church sanctuary and sandblasting of parsonage and church to remove paint and restore the "old Cumberland brick" to its original condition were completed under the pastorate of Rev. E. A. Godsey; and
1962-1966 — installation for $30,000 of a Mohler pipe organ as replacement for the 1907 organ and the establishment of the chapel off the narthex on the first floor occurred during the pastorate of Rev. Harold Bell Wright.

Evolving Church Organization. During recent decades changes within Frostburg's Methodist groups reflected broad movements taking place to heal divisions within Methodism nationwide. As a result of these changes, three separate Methodist congregations locally merged over time to form the church now known as Frostburg United Methodist Church.

The first of these mergers resulted from a Uniting Conference of Methodism in 1939 and involved the joining of some 200 members of Grace Methodist Episcopal Church, South. That congregation had been formed in 1869-70 when members had withdrawn from the Frostburg church to join the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The Grace Church stood at the comer of Beall and Stoyer Streets, and, after the merger, that building passed




ID:
acum007

Page #:
7

Creator:
Anniversary Committee, Frostburg United Methodist Church

Date:
1985

Collection Location:
Frostburg

Original Size:
28 x 22 cms

Subject:
Frostburg (Md.); Frostburg (Md.), History; United Methodist Church (U.S.), History. .

Coverage:
Frostburg (Md.), 1835-1985

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image