Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Frostburg United Methodist Church (150th anniversary, 1835-1985)


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



College, who had entered theological training at Duke University, was chosen as the first summer intern (later, the Joseph Kruson Intern).

1978—       The Joneses moved into the Prichard property, which, as the Associate Pastor’s parsonage, serves as a Sunday School meeting place as well as their home; Rev. Kaylor received his doctorate from Boston University for a dissertation on CAMP HOPE; the 194th Annual Meeting of the Baltimore Conference was held on the Frostburg State College campus, with our church as the "host church"; at the meetings, Dave Thayer and Harold Bell Wright II ("Chip"), son of a former pastor, were ordained; the cornerstone was laid at the Frostburg Retirement Village; Dave Thayer again served as summer intern; Rev. Donald Struchen of the Board of Global Missions spoke at the Mission Dinner in the Fall.

1979—       Rev. Dr. R. Olin Herndon became the congregation's pastor; Dr. Susan Beehler served as summer intern and was recommended as a candidate for the Ordained Ministry; 20 hymnals were given to the Dickerson African Methodist Episcopal Church in Frostburg.

1980—       Repairs were completed on the steeple; a series of Lenten discussions on Jesus' parables was held; Dr. James Glasse, President of Lancaster Theological Seminary, conducted a "Preaching Mission" for members and guests; Bruce Calvin was summer intern; mortgage on the Associate Parsonage was paid in full; the McLane Home on the west side of the church was bought for $55,000.

1981—       A ramp was placed at the parking lot door and a new wheelchair provided for use in the church; a Lenten Service; "Six Days and Sunday," involved leaders from the community; Ray Herndon served as summer intern and was recommended as a candidate for the Ordained Ministry; a Church Directory, with pictures of members and families, was prepared for distribution; coordinators Charles and Linda Croft were employed for the Youth Ministry.

1982—       The missionary family we support (at $1,000 a year), Doug and Betsy Ruffle, were guests at a special Mission Dinner in January; the Youth




ID:
acum011

Page #:
11

Creator:
Anniversary Committee, Frostburg United Methodist Church

Date:
1985

Collection Location:
Frostburg

Original Size:
28 x 22 cms

Subject:
Frostburg (Md.); Frostburg (Md.), History; United Methodist Church (U.S.), History. .

Coverage:
Frostburg (Md.), 1835-1985

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image