Frostburg United Methodist Church (150th anniversary)
THOMAS W. FROST was a grandson of Meshach Frost. Born in 1845, he helped organize the First National Bank and was a director until his death. He was a generous supporter of the Frostburg M. E. Church. (Ruth Carpenter)
JOHN NEFF and HARRIET HOFFMAN NEFF (same window) were each active church members. An early Trustee of the Church, his name is on the deed of the "Neff Meeting House." She belonged to many organizations in the Church and was a President of the Ladies' Aid Society. (Annetta Marshall)
FLORENCE METZGER was married to John S. Metzger, who was City Clerk and twice Mayor. They had four children, all of whom worked actively in the Church. She was active in Sunday School work, dying in 1904.
(Ruth Carpenter/ Virginia Clark)
THOMAS AND CECILIA BOND were the parents of five boys and a girl and lived on Stoyer Street. They came from Lancastershire in England. Their son, James Bond, was choir director in the church for many years. Glad Bond lived on the corner of College Avenue and Water Street. Arthur Tregere Bond worked in the post office for many years. Everybody called him "Tad"; he would greet people with a "Bon Jour." Thomas A. Bond was the father of Arthur Bond, contractor of Midlothian Road, and a grandfather of Arthur T. Bond, a Mayor of Frostburg and now Allegany County Commissioner. [Arthur Bond, Sr.)
JOHN H. AND ELIZABETH ROBBINS TIDDY were the parents of Samuel Tiddy. John was born in Cornwall, England, and came to the United States when 14 years old. He was a miner in the Georges Creek area and later had a paint store on Broadway. He was active in the Sunday School for over 20 years. Their son, Samuel, married Mary Hosken, daughter of George Hosken. They had two children, Albert M., who married Mary Watson, and Hazel Tiddy (see stairwell windows below). Samuel's wife, Mary, was the sister of Cora Hosken (Mrs. Horace G. Evans), Eva, Stella (a first grade teacher at Beall Elementary) and Russell. (Amy G. Meek)
E.J. GRAY, D.D. served as minister of the First M. E. Church in 1870-72, when work was begun on the present building. He later became President of the Williamsport Dickinson Seminary in 1882. (Annetta Marshall, Amy Meek)
ELIZABETH WRIGHT and Mrs. Susan Wright were twin sisters (with the maiden name Neff) who married two Wright brothers. They were born between 1790
Anniversary Committee, Frostburg United Methodist Church
28 x 22 cms
Frostburg (Md.); Frostburg (Md.), History; United Methodist Church (U.S.), History. .
Frostburg (Md.), 1835-1985