Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Hancock, not just a "chicken town", 1854


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



The Town of Hancock.

Correspondent of the last News thus refers to Hancock, its improvements, scenery - &c-

Upon approaching the ancient-looking place from the east, all cannot but admire the scenery—the mountains, river, canal, and often the swift passing locomotive with her long trains and shrill whistle: all, when combined, give a grandeur not easily surpassed. Guano is doing wonders to the soil in and about this place, of which the luxuriant fields of wheat is abundant evidence, and adds a great charm to the scenery.

As one approaches the place the eyes must rest upon a large and commodious warehouse erected recently on the Canal, by the very enterprising and energetic gentleman, Jacob Snively, Esq., the design and workmanship reflects much credit upon the builder, Mr. Nicholas Burger. It is said to be one of the best warehouses on the line of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal; the top of the building projects so far over the Canal that no boat should pass without giving the countersign.

There are several other new buildings in process of erection here this summer, and I may say the town is looking up somewhat in improvements. The Tavern of Mrs. Bean would be an honor to any place—fare excellent and charges low. To a boarder at her table, the title sometimes derisively given to the place—“chicken town”—has a peculiar and far from unpleasant meaning.




ID:
wcco300

Creator:
Herald of Freedom & Torch Light

Rights:
Public domain

Notes:
Guano, according to the 1857 Webster's American Dictionary of the English Language was "a substance found on some parts of the South American and African coasts, which are frequented by sea-fowls, and composed chiefly of their excrement; used as a manure." One of columns on the 1858 waybill was for "Guano, bone dust, poudrett, Ashes, lime, and other manures".

Date:
1854-05-12

Collection Location:
WCFL

Subject:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Coverage:
Maryland, 1830-1940

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image