Six canal boats, mules etc. for sale, Cumberland, 1855
THE undersigned, as Trustees, will sell at any time, at Private Sale, the following property, to wit:
Six Canal Boats, called “THREE BROTHERS,” “Ellen Bell,” “Sarah Ann,” “John Beall,” “Kate Bruce,” and the “Cock Robin.”
76 MULES & Harness,
6 HORSES and Harness.
One Cart and 1 Dray, 2 Hay Presses, 1 Pair of Scales for weighing coal, 1 Rockaway Carriage and Harness, 1 Set of Blacksmith’s Tools.
The above Canal Boats, Horses and Mules are now in good condition. The mules and horses are now in and near Cumberland, and part of the Canal Boats—the balance of the boats are on the Canal, and will be returned as soon as navigation is opened.
The Terms of Sale will be cash, or part cash and the balance on a credit with security to be approved by the Trustees, on such time and terms as may be agreed. Persons wishing to purchase in time for the opening of navigation on the Canal, had better purchase soon.
THOS. J. McKAIG,
WM. W. McKAIG,
Jan. 17, ’55.
Hagerstown Herald & Torch Light copy three times and forward bill to this office for collection.— Cumberland Telegraph.
Herald of Freedom & Torch Light
The owner of five of these canal boats on the 1851 Register of Canal Boats was Robert S. McKaig. See Register of Canal Boats, 1851-1861
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History