Sheriff's sale of Reynold's boat, 1855
BY virtue of an order of the Circuit Court for Washington Courtly, passed this 1st day of September, 1855, I hereby give notice that I will proceed to sell at public sale on Thursday the 4th day of October next, in the Public Square in Sharpsburg, One Canal Boat called OREGON taken as the property of William Reynolds, by virtue of a writ of attachment, at the suit of Morgan and A. R. Miller.
The Terms as prescribed by the order, are .-—-One third in hand on the day of sale, and the balance in three and six months with interest from the day of sale, the purchaser or purchasers giving his or their promissory note to the Sheriff for the deferred payment, with such security as shall by said Sheriff be approved.
WM. LOGAN, Sheriff
Herald of Freedom & Torch Light
Karen Gray, using the
Canal Boat Registers 1851-1880, transcribed by William Bauman, noted the following references to the Oregon
In the 1851-1861 Canal Boat Register the Oregon is listed five times:
• #13; Date 3/29/1851; Name of boat Oregon; Hailing place Cumberland, Md.; Class C; 90’ x 14’, Draught of boat 12” empty, 60” loaded; Owner: A. S. Higgins, Residence of owner Cumberland, Md.; Comment: Register lost, No. 108 issued, change owner.
Note that the boat size and draught are different in these listings:
• #108; Date 4/22/1851; Name of boat Oregon; Hailing place Sharpsburg Landing; Class B; 84’ x 12’ 9”; Draught of boat 16” empty, 52” loaded; Owner Dan L. Grove; Residence of owner Washington Co., Md.; Comment: Cancelled, No. 172 issued, change owner
• #172; Date 7/17/1851; Name of boat Oregon; Hailing place Shepherdstown; Class B; 84’ x 12’ 9”; draught 16” empty, 52” loaded; Owner Edward M. Lucas; Residence of Owner Shepherdstown, Va.; Comment: Register lost, No. 305 issued, change owner
• #305; Date 3/5/1853; Name of boat Oregon; Hailing place Shepherdstown; Class B; 84’ x 12’ 9”; Draught 16” empty, 52” loaded; Owner G. W. Haber; Residence of owner Shepherdstown, Va; Comment: Cancelled, No 358 issued, change owner
• #358; Date 8/25/1853; Name of boat Oregon; Hailing place Shepherdstown; Class B, 84’ x 12’ 9”; Draught 16” empty, 52” loaded; Owner F. & M. Reynolds Shepherdstown, Va
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History