Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Dam 5, in 1904


Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



A view of Dam 5 from the West Virginia side showing the Honeywood Mill settlement. This was originally built as a flour mill in the 1830s, and converted to a pulp grinding mill in the 1880s. The hydroelectric generating equipment was installed by Martinsburg Power Company in 1904.

Across the river the lockhouse for the keeper of the lock at Dam 5 is visible.




ID:
wcco343

Creator:
Potomac Edison Company

Notes:
The photograph was available from the Potomac Edison Library in Hagerstown. It is part of the Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record at the Library of Congress.

Date:
1904

Collection Location:
Library of Congress, HAER WVA,2-HEDVI.V,1-1

Subject:
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Coverage:
Maryland, 1830-1940

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image