Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
The little brown church


Accident, Maryland: Churches Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



THE LITTLE BROWN CHURCH. This is the only picture which shows only the Little Brown Church without other buildings. It was isolated from a picture taken in 1902 at the dedication of Zion Lutheran Church's cornerstone.

A self-exiled group from the German Lutheran Church purchased one-half acre of land from Aaron Boyer. With the help of the English Lutherans a church was erected on Engle's Mill Road. It was dedicated in 1869. The church was known officially as Lutheran Evangelical Trinity Church of Accident.

The English congregation moved into a new structure in 1895, located in the center of the village. In 1908 the German congregation dissolved and gave the Little Brown Church building to the English group. It was razed in 1920 and the lumber was used when a new parsonage was erected for the Accident Lutheran Parish.




ID:
gcac035

Rights:
Family of Mary Miller Strauss

Notes:
Reverse: Dedication picture was loaned by Lenice Goehringer Vitez. Enlarged 1983.

Date:
1902

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Accident, MD

Original Size:
26 x 21 cms

Subject:
Accident (Md.)--History; Garrett County (Md.)-- Pictorial works.

Coverage:
Garrett County (Md.), 1902

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image