Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
English Lutheran Church


Accident, Maryland: English Lutheran Church Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



THE ENGLISH LUTHERAN CHURCH (Circa 1952). The red brick English Lutheran Church was dedicated on November 3, 1895. Plans for the structure had begun as early as 1890. A kiln was erected along Richter Run where clay was dug and bricks fired. By 1893 work was begun on the building. Total cost of the structure was $4,079.83. At the time it was considered the most beautiful and modern building in the surrounding area.

The church contained two beautiful chandeliers. A carbide lighting system, located in the basement, furnished the gas to illuminate the chandeliers. When electricity became available, the chandeliers were removed, but no one knows what became of them.

The first trustees for the church were installed on July 14, 1895. They were installed by Pastor Royer for a period of five years. The group consisted of William Englehart, Eli McMillen, Henry Schlosnagle, Henry Kamp, and George F. Ault.




ID:
gcac039

Rights:
Family of Mary Miller Strauss

Date:
1952

Collection Location:
Ruth Enlow Library, Accident, MD

Original Size:
26 x 21 cms

Subject:
Accident (Md.)--History; Garrett County (Md.)-- Pictorial works.

Coverage:
Garrett County (Md.), 1952

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image