Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Washington Place, Romney, WV


Washington Place, Romney, WV Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Romney, West Virginia is located in Hampshire County, about thirty miles south of Cumberland, Maryland. As noted on the sign rewritten below, it was the home of William Washington, who became the first black land developer in West Virginia. The State of West Virginia was established in 1863 after representatives from the 40 western counties which had opposed secession separated from Virginia which had seceded from the Union in 1861.

Washington Place
"Washington Place" is the first house built by free blacks following The Proclamation of Emancipation in 1863. It was built by William Washington and his wife, Annie, 1863-1874. The land was given by Susan Parsons, as a gift for faithful service, to Annie and her family. William Washington acquired other lands, and became the first black land developer in West Virginia with the subdivision known as "Blacks Hill".

Also depicted is one of the homes that existed within the subdivision known as "Blacks Hill". Shown here are Angela Feldstein, on the right, and "Maya", on the left.




ID:
acaa083

Notes:
Photograph by Albert L. Feldstein

Collection Location:
Allegany County, Maryland

Subject:
African Americans, History; Allegany County (Md.), History.

Coverage:
Allegany County (Md.), 1890-2008

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image