Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)


Medical profession and hospitals Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



City of Cumberland. A committee of three was appointed to draw up a minimum fee table for all professional medical services. The same, when approved, was to be mandatory on all the city physicians. This was to be in accord with the contract system as applied by medical men here to lodges, firms, railroads, and the like. It was felt, it was stated, entirely unsuited to the best of medical service, it being recognized that from twenty-five cents to one dollar a month was paid for contract medical services, and the attending physician would naturally give the best service elsewhere, that is, where he received a regular fee for the visit.

Among the local physicians that were called into service during World War I were Drs. John R. Littlefield, J. Homer Wilson, Emmons R. Wolfe, Thomas R. palmer, George O. Sharrett, Alvin E. Anthony, F. H. Charles, Max J. Coulton, Winter R. Frantz, W. F. Williams, Jr., Leo M. Cavanaugh, J. K. Cowherd and William L. Burns.

In January, 1920, a number of local professional men, including Dr. A. H. Hawkins, Dr. William A. Gracie, and John E. Legge were having the Landweher Building at South Centre and Harrison Streets remodeled into an office building. The building was three stories high and would be called the Medical Building.

In 1920, Dr. A. Leo Franklin had offices on the third floor of the Professional Building at 111 Baltimore Street. Dr. Franklin had the only known policy in Cumberland carried with Lloyds of London on the consignment of radium which he had received, costing many thousands of dollars. On December 9, 1920, it was discovered that the Union Woolen Mills on the first floor of the building was on fire. A patient from the radium laboratory on the




ID:
achm139

Page #:
139

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image