Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
vteachers of Allegany County to volunteer as assistant nurses and perform other duties at this time of emergency.
The Cumberland Fair, which was to exhibit at the State Armory on South Centre Street on October 9, 10, 11, 12, 1918, was postponed until October 23, 24, 25 and 26. Ford's Drugstore at the corner of Bedford and Centre Streets, because of the Spanish influenza scourge, and at the request of several physicians, remained open until 1:00 AM for the purpose of filling prescriptions. Its telephone number was 355. After 1:00 AM, for prescriptions, one called 745.
6. Locations and sizes of Cumberland hospitals.
The Memorial Hospital, the oldest hospital in Allegany County, was started in 1888 when fifteen Cumberland women established an old folks' home to be of service to the older men and women who did not have the comforts of a private home. A house at 64 Bedford Street, near North Centre Street, was rented and several people were admitted. The name chosen was the Western Maryland Home. While this project was doing nicely, the leaders of the group saw an urgent need for a hospital. Cumberland had no hospital at that time. Seeing the number of railroad accidents, particularly those on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, and the injured persons being brought to the basement of the Queen City Hotel to be treated, the leaders of the ladies' group felt the need for a hospital more strongly. The name of the Western Maryland Home was changed to the Western Maryland Home and Infirmary and, besides the aged, patients were being admitted for treatment. Soon this house was
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976