Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Cumberland, Maryland (Sports)

Sports Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


Intermediate, which was for older boys; and for Seniors. Allegany County Academy (located where the present public library is), around the 1900's, had a basketball team. In 1914 the Knights of Goodfellowship (KOG) were the champions of Cumberland by defeating the YMCA Seniors on the YMCA court by a score of 28 - 23. The KOG team played all home games on the Y court. In 1918 the Central YMCA team won the Western Maryland Championship. Members of this team were Linden Sharer, Robert Armbruster, John Dietz, Thornard Smith, and Walter Sanner. While basketball was played in high schools and Allegany County Academy as far back as the 1890's, the real high school competition locally started from 1918. Allegany County High School's basket team was Western Maryland champions for 1915 - 1916. In 1919, Allegany County High School's basketball team was UPL champions. The same year, Allegany had a girls' basketball team. Some stars from the Allegany teams in those days were John Bruce and Herman Everstein. The first Allegany County High School team was in 1902 composed of Russell Hummelshime, Carl Heinz, Ralph Rizer, Anmon Derr, and Frank Stein. In 1919 Allegany County High School won the Upper Potomac League Championship. Also in 1919 the Central YMCA team won the Western Maryland Championship. The winning team was composed of John Dietz, Eldred Crumwell, Frederick Eiler, Eugene Gunning, Thornard Smith, Walter Sanner and Dr. Charles Zimmerman. In 1920 the KOG team won the City Championship. This team was composed of Lawrence J. Rank, Howard Spiker, George Steiner, Eldred Crumwell, Frederick Eiler, John Dietz, and Raymond Ward. On June 11,1920, the Taylor Athletic Association of the N and G Taylor Tin Plate Company


Page #:

Miller, Herman J.

Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland


Collection Location:

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Stegmaier, Harry

Cumberland (Md.), history

Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image