Cumberland, Maryland (C&O Canal)
On June 19, 1873, a canal boat operated by steam arrived in Cumberland.
On December 2, 1873, the canal boat "H. B. Simonds" arrived at this port with 815 barrels of corn, the cargo coming from Williamsport, Maryland.
On April 20, 1880, Fred Mertens completed a telephone line from his office connecting with a line along the Canal to Georgetown. Mr. Mertens had a large number of boats on the Canal and could then tell where any boats were at any time.
On April 15, 1894, the Army of the Commonwealth of Christ, better known as "Coxey's Army, "marching by foot from Massalion, Ohio, arrived in Cumberland to spend two days, and left Cumberland by canal boats on April 17, 1894, for the journey via Canal to Williamsport, Maryland. The purpose of the trip, with its destination Washington, was to plead with the nation's lawmakers to give jobs to the unemployed, of which there were many, for there was a great depression on the land. The Coxey plan did not succeed at this time.
On December 12, 1898, ice breakers were running on the Canal to rescue the boats that were caught by the freeze-up. There were 25 boats scattered between Williamsport and Cumberland.
On July 28, 1899, a novel and useful machine was afloat on the C&O Canal. It was a grass cutting boat. Grass would grow in the bottom of the Canal and get as long as six feet, thus retarding the boats and making it difficult for the mules to pull. The grass cutting machine was operated by steam, but the boat was pulled by mules.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976