Cumberland, Maryland (C&O Canal)
On August 17, 1899, the Cumberland Concert Band gave an excursion down the Canal on the excursion boat "Almeta and Earl." The boat left the lock at 7:30 PM and returned at 11:15 PM. The band gave a concert during the trip with the public invited. Fare was twenty-five cents roundtrip, with children's fare set at fifteen cents.
On July 16, 1901, a canal boat race on the C&O Canal between the "Beulah," under Captain James Hall, and the "Annie Payne," under Captain Kimble, took place. The race was finished Saturday, with the "Beulah" winning. The race was from Cumberland to Williamsport. Each boat was pulled by four mules and was loaded with coal. The winner broke the time record.
On May 2, 1902, the boatmen went on strike. The boatmen were getting seventy cents a ton to haul the coal and wanted an increase of ten cents per ton.
On May 12, 1902, the boatmen's strike ended. The boatmen agreed to return to work at seventy cents per ton on a 30-day trial basis.
On June 11, 1902, the 30 day period being over, and with no increase from the boat owners forthcoming, the strike was resumed.
On June 15, 1902, the strike was over. The owners gave the boatmen ten cents per ton increase.
On May 10, 1909, Fred C. Dreyer, James Morris, John Millholland, and B. Hess returned to Cumberland, having made a trip from Cumberland to Washington by way of the Canal in Captain J. Philip Roman's 50-foot launch.
On July 29, 1912, the Western Maryland Railroad Company bought land from the C&O Canal to erect the present Western Maryland Railroad Company station.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976