Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
Twigg of Flintstone.
Each member of the Hospital Association, composed of one hundred ladies, contributed two garments annually to the hospital. Mrs. Crede Wilson was President of the Association. The Children's Day, held each year on Thanksgiving Day for the previous twelve years, was established by Mrs. John W. Avirett. The pupils of all the schools donated supplies to the hospital.
On October 27, 1914, the new addition to the Western Maryland Hospital was under roof and the piping, electrical wiring, rough flooring, lathing, etc., was rapidly being put in. The front of the new building was but one story high, erected on brick pillars, and carried across the driveway by steel girders. In this part of the building there would be two modern operating rooms with sterilizing room and rooms for the surgeons, nurses, etc. On top, the roof had been flattened so that it could be used as a sort of roof garden for convalescing patients. The rear of the new wing, which was on the northeastern end of the main building and ran up four stories from the ground and in which the elevator would be installed would contain private rooms and ward rooms for the patients with the necessary bathrooms on each floor. Wright, Richardson and Company were the contractors for the erection of the new building.
On April 22, 1921, Governor Albert C. Ritchie announced he would appoint Mr. John Schwarzenbach as director of the Western Maryland Hospital to succeed the late Daniel Annan. It was now felt that a new and larger hospital was needed to replace the present Western Maryland Hospital. In November, 1927, an order was passed by the Cumberland Mayor and City Council that Memorial Hospital bonds
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976