Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)


Medical profession and hospitals Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



be issued to secure land and build the new hospital. On November 28, 1927, the Cumberland Mayor and City Council ordered that five hundred Memorial Hospital bonds be lithographed by the National Bank Note Company. The cost of the land for the new hospital was about $30, 000. The land had a frontage of 800 feet on Washington, now Memorial, Avenue, with a depth of 340 feet plus a depth of 820 feet on Ridgewood Avenue. This included the hospital itself and a building with six rooms which would be used temporarily as a rest home for the nurses until the nurses' home was completed. Plans for the nurses' home were in the hands of the contractors. The cost of the nursing home was expected to be around $75,000. The hospital building cost was $500,000. The furniture and equipment cost around $40, 000. The Memorial Hospital and Nursing Home, when completed, would cost between $650,000 and $700,000, it was estimated, taking into consideration the many rooms donated by generous local people. Those who donated rooms were Tasker G. Lowndes, Thomas B. Finan, Dr. R. W. Trevaskis, Louis Weber, and the Art Craft Club. Ali Ghan Temple, A. A. O. N., Mystic Shrine donated twelve beds in the children's department. Mrs. Maria J. Wilson, the Cumberland and Allegany Gas Company, the Potomac Edison Company, the children of Dr. A. Leo Franklin in memory of their mother, The Cumberland Kiwanis Club, H. B. Mabson, Solomon and Leota Gross, David A. Robb, Fermar G. Pugh, Harry Footer, the Kelly-Springfield Company, which donated two rooms, Dr. W. H. Hodges, Mrs. M. C. Gillette who gave two rooms, Mrs. Edith Fowler who donated two rooms, Mrs. Mary Bachrach, Mrs. Samuel E. Kline, Reba and Marion Weber, Philip J. Arendes, Mrs. Franke Smith, Dr. J. Homer Wilson, the Cresap Chapter of the Daughters of the American



ID:
achm149

Page #:
149

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image