Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)

Medical profession and hospitals Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


Revolution, Mrs. Robert R. Henders on and children, Dr. C. L. Owens, Col. William H. Robertson, The Vang Construction Company, the Baltimore and Ohio Friendship Club, and the Rosenbaum family, which donated a major operation room, all gave money. Mrs. Asa Shanholtz of Piedmont Avenue presented the institution with two large oleander plants over five feet high for the sun parlor. They were grown by Mrs. Shanholtz.
The Memorial Hospital was dedicated at 3:00 PM on Sunday, August 18, 1929, to the memory of those who lost their lives to their country in World War I. The dedication program was presided over by the chairman of the Board of Governors, Thomas B. Finan. The invocation was by Reverend Father James A. Dwyer, assistant pastor of St. Patricks Church. Music was furnished by the Cumberland Municipal Band. The address was given by Dr. Thomas W. Koon, Mayor of Cumberland. Remarks were made by Henry A. Bachman, president of the Board of County Commissioners. More music was then furnished by the American Legion Drum Corps, Fort Cumberland Post No. 13. Dedication of the building was by Reverend James E. Moffat, Rector Emeritus of the First Presbyterian Church. The American Legion played taps and a salute was fired by the Firing Squad of the Henry Hart Post, Veterans of Foreign Wars. Raising of the flag was by the ex-servicemen's organizations. Benediction was then given by Reverend Father James A. Dwyer. Inspection of the hospital was made by those present, with the Boy Scouts assisting them.
The hospital was in active operation by Monday, August 19, 1929. There were twenty-five patients already registered and they were received on the day of the opening. The Board of Directors of the home and infirmary transferred by deed the entire property including real estate, buildings and


Page #:

Miller, Herman J.

Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland


Collection Location:

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Stegmaier, Harry

Cumberland (Md.), history

Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image