Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
Ruppert, a practicing physician of Baltimore, who was medical director and personally superintended the affairs of the institution, which was for the treatment of alcohol and drug addictions. This building was razed by fire in August, 1930.
In 1907, Dr. Thomas' Medical Institute was at 6 South Liberty Street with daily office hours from 9:00 to 12:00, 1:00 to 4:00, and 7:00 to 9:00 PM, and on Sundays from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. In the advertisement, Dr. Thomas said he could cure blood, skin, kidney, prostatic and private diseases of men, promising they would stay cured or money would be refunded.
On January 1, 1913, the Allegany County Tuberculosis Hospital on Haystack Mountain off Fayette Street began receiving tuberculosis patients in any stage of the disease. It was known as the Haystack Mountain Sanatorium. The insitution was maintained largely through the sale of Christmas Seals. The state and county donated $1,500 per year to its maintenance. For 1912, the sale of Christmas Seals in Allegany County brought in $4,200 and approximately $3,000 went to the local sanatorium. The institution was founded by the Cumberland Civic Club and managed by a Board of Directors, of which Mrs. Robert MacDonald was Chairman. Other members of the Board were Treasurer Mrs. James H. Cook, Secretary Miss Elizabeth Lloyd Lowndes, and Miss Alice M. Michael, Mrs. Robert R. Henderson, Mrs. L. Lee Lichtenstein and Mrs. Walter Shryer. There were accommodations for twenty-two patients at one time. Walter John Cooper was Superintendent. Later, the property was bought by the Cumberland Kiwanis Club and was operated by them as a summer camp and called the Kiwanis Sunshine Camp. This area is now a residential development.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976