Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
Center at 512 Winifred Road, and the Edith Henry Carrol Home for the retired at 715 Maryland Avenue.
8. Allegany Hospital.
Allegany Hospital began its existence in 1905 in the small private residence of General Charles M. Thurston at 49 Decatur Street. First incorporated as Allegany Hospital in 1905, the hospital was sold to the Sisters of Charity in 1911.
The idea of forming such a hospital had its inception with Dr. E. B. Claybrook, a prominent physician of Cumberland, and located on property secured from Sigmund Tanzer at a cost of $13,000. The first Board of Directors included W. E. Walsh, Dr. Charles H. Brace, Arch A. Young, Dr. E. B. Claybrook, Dr. A. H. Hawkins, Dr. Clinton Brokemarkle, and George Schwarzenbach. The first officers were W. E. Walsh, President; Dr. Charles H. Ohr, Vice-President; and A. A. Young, Secretary and Treasurer. In June, 1905, remodeling and equipping began, which was completed and the building opened and ready for the reception of patients in December, 1905. President Walsh resigned in June, 1905, and Dr. E. B. Claybrook was elected president, a position he retained until the hospital passed into the hands of the Sisters of Charity in June, 1911. The new hospital was opened for public inspection on Friday, December 8, 1905, and for the reception of patients on the following day, when a full corps of nurses, physicians and attendants began to attend to all hurts, ills and ailments. The reception for the public was from eight to ten o'clock
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976