Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
The present institution was formed by certificates acknowledged March 5 and approved by Judge Robert R. Henderson on March 9, 1914. Its incorporators and first year directors were Mary Edith Garrity, Mary T. Byrne and Mary A. Nagel. The corporation had no capital stock nor any shares of stock, and its objectives were declared to be the ”maintenance and operation of a general hospital in the City of Cumberland, Maryland, for pay and for free patients, and the maintenance and conduct of a training school for nurses."
By deed on November 27, 1912, the hospital property was conveyed by The Allegany Hospital Company to the Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph's. On June 13, 1911, the Sisters had acquired from Sigmund Tanzer and his wife, Henrietta, a lot in the rear of the hospital on Bellevue Street. Purchase price of the lot was $2,500. On September 18, 1916, Pauline A. Tanzer and her husband, Edward, conveyed to the Allegany Hospital of the Sisters of Charity a lot across from the hospital on Decatur Street and on November 3, 1916, Henrietta Tanzer and Joseph Lindauer, executors of Sigmund Tanzer, conveyed to the Sisters of Charity the adjoining lot. The two properties were used for a nurses' home and training school.
On November 17, 1916, new x-ray equipment ordered by the Allegany Hospital was installed and tried out for the first time. It worked most successfully. The equipment occupied three rooms of the hospital. The first floor was especially remodelled for the purpose. The equipment was installed by R. R. Taylor, representative of the Victor Electric Corporation of Chicago. Three rooms were for the picture or plate making,
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976