Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Hotels)


Hotels Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



On October 18, 1873, President U.S. Grant passed through Cumberland. While the train was stopped here, the President had dinner at the Queen City Hotel.

Mr. H. M. Kinsley was the first manager of the Queen City Hotel.

In June, 1898, the entire hotel building was wired by the Cumberland Electric Light Company. The entire building was to be lighted by electricity.

March 24, 1898, was a very busy day for the hotel, for on this day 53 Indians in native costume and three cowboys, with their wives, had breakfast at the hotel. They were on their way to join Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show at Philadelphia. Also, on this day Assistant Secretary of War, George D. Meiklejohn and U. S. Senator John M. Thurston of Nebraska passed through this city, stopping at the Queen City Hotel long enough to partake of breakfast.

In 1912 the first floor of the west wing of the hotel building was converted into the station waiting room. The other three floors in the wing were to be used as B&O Railroad offices.

In 1916 an addition was built on the back of the east wing extending to Park Street, thus adding one hundred more rooms to the hotel. As the passenger travel by train diminished, the Queen City Hotel was not as much patronized. Also, newer hotels had been built in Cumberland and motels had become very popular for the traveller. The last major undertaking of the Queen City Hotel was when it was painted in 1953. Other necessary work was done at that time. During the last ten years of operation of the hotel it was used only for employees of the railroad. The final closing of the Queen City Hotel was at midnight December 31, 1964.




ID:
achm124

Page #:
124

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image