Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Railroads)


Railroads Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Creek and Cumberland Railroad began to arrive and depart from the new Central Station, Baltimore and Canal Streets. J. A. Millholland was the general manager.

Beginning May 23, 1887, all freight was to be received and forwarded by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at the new Central Depot. Peter Noon was the agent.

On September 2, 1887, the Georges Creek and Cumberland Railroad offices were moved into the Central Station building. The Georges Creek Railroad used three offices on the second floor. The West Virginia Central and Bedford Division used three other offices. The waiting room and ticket office were on the first floor.

On September 12, 1889, the Georges Creek and Cumberland Railroad added to their equipment two hundred 30-ton hoppers and the West Virginia Central ordered fifty of the same kind.

On January 22, 1914, one of the longest trains ever hauled on the Western Maryland Railway was run between Hagerstown and Cumberland. The train consisted of one hundred loaded cars and was drawn by a monster engine.

On August 13, 1918, plans were in progress to make the Queen City Station of the B&O Railroad the Union Station of Cumberland. It was proposed to have all trains of the Western Maryland and the Pennsylvania Railroads arrive and depart at the Queen City Station of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

3. What facilities did the Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad have in Cumberland? What kind of trains did it run? Where?

The Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad was




ID:
achm071

Page #:
71

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image