Cumberland, Maryland (Railroads)
the G.C. &C. RR. passenger trains would run daily except Sundays as follows. All trains will arrive and depart from Hay Street Station. Leave Cumberland, 7:15 AM and 1:30 PM; arrive in Vale Summit, 8:00 AM and 2:15 PM; and arrive at Lonaconing at 8:30 AM and 2:45 PM. They will leave Lonaconing at 10:45 AM and 5:00 PM; arrive at Vale Summit at 11:15 AM and 4:30 PM and arrive at Cumberland at 12 noon and 6:15 PM.
The G. C. & C. RR. was projected in 1876 and later built by the American and Maryland Coal Companies as an independent line from their mines to connections with the greater lines over which their coal would be carried for re-shipment to various eastern markets. On April 20, 1881, the G. C. & C. RR. was completed. In 1881, the president of the railroad was Henry Loveridge. The total tonnage hauled in 1881 was 213, 000 tons. In 1902, the total had grown to over 1,000,000 tons. The G. C. & C. RR. was operated on heavy steel rails on large ties deeply ballasted with stone. It had numerous substantially built trestles and handsome bridges of the heaviest iron construction.
To those on the passenger coaches, very few lines of railroad afforded more charming scenery over almost its entire length. In 1902, the equipment consisted of ten large locomotives, 1,080 coal cars, and a number of passenger and freight cars. Over the tracks of the G. C. & C. RR., the Pennsylvania Railroad came into and out of Cumberland. In 1879, James A. Millholland became general manager of the G. C. & C. Railroad and on June 16, 1893, became president of the railroad when the G. C. & C. Railroad was sold to the Western Maryland. Mr. Millholland retired January 22, 1909. The G. C. & C. Railroad shops were built in 1879 at the intersection of North Mechanic Street and the Henderson Avenue Bridge. This is the present location of the Southern Co-op. The repair shops were destroyed by fire some years after
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976