Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Fire Department)


Fire Department Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



with an 85-foot aerial ladder pulled by a 1968 Seagrave tractor, a 1974 Chevrolet sedan which is the chief's car, a 1969 Chevrolet sedan which is the inspector's car, a 1969 van (Unit #1) for emergency rescue, a 1975 Ford ambulance (Rescue and a 1976 Ford ambulance (Rescue #2). Both are fully equiped.

Ambulance service went into operation at 8:00 AM May 4, 1977. Lieutenant James Dawson is in charge of medical training. Ambulance service personnel consists of 42 men as emergency medical technicians. In the late fall of 1977, Central Fire Department, along with the ambulance service, will be in the new Fire and Police Department building on Bedford Street between North Centre and North Mechanic Streets, which is to cost about three million dollars. As an example of the size of the building, the doors of the Fire Department will be 17 feet wide, as compared to the doors in the present building which are only ten feet wide. The apparatus floor will be of tile; in the old building it was of concrete. The communication room will be between the first and second floors, giving a full view of the apparatus room. There will be five sliding poles from the second floor to the first floor. There will be no hose tower as in the old building. This operation took ten days to dry hose. Hose will be dried in 24 hours in hose dryers heated by gas. A new electronic fire alarm system was installed in 1976 to replace the old fire alarm system which was installed in 1897. In 1974 an evaluation of the Cumberland Fire Department was done by the fire department insurance service office and the Cumberland Fire Department was upgraded from Class 5 to Class 4. Engine #1 carries, among other equipment, 600 feet of 2 1/2 inch hose, 600 feet of 3 inch hose. All other engine companies carry 1200 feet of 2 1/2 inch hose. All engine companies carry a supply of 1 1/2 inch hose.




ID:
achm021

Page #:
21

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image