Cumberland, Maryland (Police Department)
Police headquarters and jail will be in the new building now being built on Bedford Street between North Mechanic and North Centre Streets and will be occupied in the fall of 1977.
Each probationary police officer must successfully complete an eleven week training period by the Maryland Police Training Commission before becoming a permanent member of the Cumberland Police Department. New promotions from police officer to corporal or sergeant must also successfully complete a training period conducted by the Maryland Police Training Commission. This training is held at the Maryland State Police Barracks at Pikesville, Maryland. Lieutenants must take a course in management also at the Maryland Police Training Commission at Pikesville, Maryland State Police Barracks. Bi-annually, each member of the Cumberland Police Department must attend in-service training. Firearms training is conducted each year. For the 1977 arms training period, 30,000 rounds of ammunition were fired.
Police chiefs in the past have been, in 1887, William Hildebrandt; in 1890, T. D. Gephard; in 1899, Marcellus Martin; in 1901, G. W. Cromwell; in 1903, James T. MacDonald; in 1906, John B. Pitzer; in 1908, Michael A. Clarke; in 1909, George Flannigan; in 1910, Harry Irvine; in 1913, John J. Trieber; in 1914, J. Thomas Eisenhauer; in 1916, W. Ralph Young; and in 1917, Oscar Eyerman.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976