Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1950)
Central Fire Department and fire headquarters were also in City Hall Square facing Liberty Street. John E. Brennan was fire chief.
Baltimore Street from George Street east to Queen City Drive had on the north side, now the GeeBee parking lot, the Windsor Hotel, Windsor Restaurant, and Windsor Barber Shop, the Braddock Liquor Store, the Savoy Bowling and Billiards parlor, the Cumberland Outdoor Club, the Shriver Company Hardware Store, and the Kenneweg Company wholesale grocery. On the south side of Baltimore Street from George Street to the Queen City Drive, now the Holiday Inn parking lot, were Montgomery Ward and Company, the Cut-Rate Shoe Store, the Keystone Shoe Store, Catherman's Business School, Joe the Motorists' Friend, which handled auto accessories, the Sears Roebuck and Company Department Store, the Rialto Lunch Room, and Dezen's Firestone Store, which sold auto accessories.
On the east side of North Mechanic Street from Baltimore Street north to Frederick Street were Anton's Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge, the Maryland Hotel, the Eat Well Grill, the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company retail store, the Knights of Columbus building, the Spa Liquor Store, the Maryland Nut Shop, the Cadillac Cocktail Lounge, Alberta's Restaurant, the Cadillac Apartments containing five units, the Cumberland Maytag Appliance Center, the Maryland Theatre, Marcus' Jewelry Store, the Nu-Bakery, the Beneman Furniture Store, the Cumberland Loan Company, the people's Barber Shop, and Sheehe's Restaurant. This block from Baltimore Street to Frederick Street is now a parking lot, from Frederick Street to the present day Heritage Park at the corner of North Mechanic and Baltimore Streets.
The leading Downtown night spots were Al's Chateau on the first
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976