Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Clubs, Taverns and Saloons)


Clubs, Taverns and Saloons Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



On January 12, 1912, the Cumberland Matinee Club was organized at the Windsor Hotel with 31 charter members. A series of matinee events were to be held at the Cumberland Horse Race Track.

In 1907 a group of young people had a club called The Jolly Germans and on February 9 gave a dance at the Pelican Club Hall.

On October 7, 1920, the Taylor Athletic Association held a dance in the new gymnasium of the N and G Taylor Tin Plate Company. This club had a championship basketball team. When the Tin Mill moved from Cumberland, the Athletic Club disbanded.

During the 192O's the Patriotic Order, Sons of America, Washington Camp No. 62, had a 42 piece marching band. Their lodge rooms were on the third floor over the Capitol Theatre on Baltimore Street.

The Knights of Columbus organized in 1902. The first lodge rooms were on South Liberty Street, then moved to North Mechanic Street after purchase of the Inn Hotel building in 1912, where the K. of C. had lodge rooms and social quarters. When the building was razed in 1973, the K. of C. bought property on Christie Road where a lodge room and social quarters are now located.

The American Legion, Fort Cumberland Post #13, had its home on Harrison Street. The Henry Hart Post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars was on Union Street and the Fulton Myers Post of the American Legion on North Mechanic Street near Market Street. All have social quarters as well as meeting rooms.

The Fraternal Order of Eagles #245 organized in 1902 on Baltimore Street, then moved to North Mechanic and Frederick Streets, then across the street on North Mechanic Street, where it had meeting rooms and social quarters.




ID:
achm271

Page #:
271

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image