Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1930)
DOWNTOWN CUMBERLAND IN 1930
The boundaries of Downtown Cumberland in 1930 were Williams Street on the south and Market Street to the north, the Western Maryland Railroad to the west, and the B&O Railroad on the east. New hotels were the Fort Cumberland, opened in 1918, the Algonquin in 1926, the Washington Hotel and Restaurant in 1911, the West Virginia Hotel at 14-16 Bedford Street in 1916, the Rockwood Hotel at the corner of North Mechanic and Bedford Streets in 1916, the Central Hotel on the third floor of the MacFarlane Building at Mechanic and Frederick Streets, the Palmer Hotel at 22-24 Bedford Street, the Stag Hotel at 26-28 Bedford Street, and the Booker T. Washington Hotel at 107-109 North Mechanic Street. The last three were for Black patrons. Other hotels in Downtown Cumberland were the Arlington Hotel at 177-179 Baltimore Street, Cavanaugh's Hotel at 176-178 Baltimore Street, the Maryland Hotel at 9-11 North Mechanic Street, the Olympia Hotel at 8 North Mechanic Street on the corner of Baltimore Street, the Southern Hotel at 133-137 North Mechanic Street, formerly known as the Pennsylvania Hotel, and the Windsor Hotel at 154 Baltimore Street on the corner of George Street. Besides most of the hotels having restaurants, there were in Downtown Cumberland in 1930 twenty other restaurants, five theatres, eight apartment buildings, eleven new automobile dealers, five savings and national banks, twenty-two barber shops, eleven beauty shops or hairdressers, five poolrooms, six churches, nine cigar stores, ten candy and ice cream stores, twenty-four dentists offices, and six drugstores. Eight locations had furnished rooms for rent. There were also three miniature golf courses
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976