Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Industry)


Industry Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



factory was that of Charles Young and Son. Their business was on North Centre Street opposite Henry Street. Mr. Charles Young came to Cumberland in 1858 with little money, but a vast knowledge of the furniture trade. He employed six people and had a payroll of $300.00 a month. Mr. Louis Stein came to Cumberland at an early age and went to work for his grandfather, Charles Young. In 1885, Mr. Stein, William J. Harrison and Conrad Frey formed the Cumberland Furniture and Coffin Company and built a new building on North Centre Street (now the Workmeister Insurance Agency). They prospered and in 1903 Mr. Stein took over the undertaking end of the business and Mr. Harrison the furniture business. Mr. Stein built a three story building next to the furniture factory, which is now occupied by Clark's Camera Center. Thus, the Louis Stein Undertaking business was established.

Mr. G. Stanley Butler, son of Kennedy H. Butler, bought the business in 1896 and entered the undertaking business on North Centre Street. H. V. F. Flurshutz, at fourteen years of age, entered upon an apprenticeship with Kennedy H. Butler. Several years later Mr. Flurshutz went into the furniture manufacturing business for himself, operating a small shop on North Liberty Street. He repaired and sold furniture. Several years later he moved to 13 North Centre Street. Some years later he built a four story building on North Centre Street (now the Maze parklet). In 1906 he moved into a larger building next door (now Claytons). In addition to retailing furniture and house furnishings, they specialized in making and repairing fine furniture. The reputation of the Flurshutz' was known far and wide. At the death of H. V. F. Flurshutz his son, Fred, took over and continued the business. When Fred




ID:
achm061

Page #:
061

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image