Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)


Churches and Synagogues Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Church, a log church at the corner of Baltimore and North Centre Streets. In 1848 the vestry of St. Paul's Church notified them that they would no longer be permitted to conduct services in St. Paul's Church. Cumberland Mayor Thomas Shriver, upon hearing of the congregation's plight, offered to donate a site and the stones from his quarry for the construction of the German Lutheran Church. The offer was accepted and, with the members of the congregation doing most of the work, the building was completed and dedicated in 1850. The name of the congregation was changed in 1914 to St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church of. Cumberland, Maryland. In 192 7 a new church was completed at the corner of Bedford and Columbia Streets. This church was sold to B'eth Jacob Jewish Congregation in 1955. At that time, a new church for the St. Luke's Congregation was being built on Frederick Street Extended.

The Maryland Legislature provided for the incorporation of the first Presbyterian Church in Cumberland in 1802. Early records were lost when the Presbyterian Church was used as a hospital by the Federal Government during the Civil War. It is known vaguely that early meetings were held by members of the Presbyterian faith in the old log church owned by the Lutherans. In 1817, a joint subscription paper had been circulated by the Presbyterian and Episcopalian congregations and a fund was raised for the erection of a church for the joint use of the Presbyterian and Episcopalian congregations. A lot had been donated to the two congregations by Thomas J. Perry for a jointly owned church. The church was completed and consecrated in 1830. There are no records of any organized Presbyterian services there until 1832, after which time it was jointly used for several years. The brick church on Liberty Street was completed in 1840. In




ID:
achm177

Page #:
177

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image