Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)


Churches and Synagogues Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



1877. On April 2, 1888, the property in its entirety passed into the possession of Christ Reformed Episcopal Church.

According to the 1905 Cumberland City Directory, St. Stephen's Lutheran Church was listed as being at South Centre and Union Streets. In 1902 a new Lutheran Church was formed known as The First English Lutheran Church. This congregation purchased the Reformed Episcopal Church at the corner of South Centre and Union Streets. In 1927 the church merged with St. Paul's Lutheran Church. In the 1950's the C &P Telephone Company purchased the lot and building and erected a building for the telephone company.

Three Methodist Protestant churches were dedicated on Sunday, February 18, 1906, one on Bedford Street, one in South Cumberland, and one in East Cumberland, called Lindnerville. The church on Bedford Street was known as the First Methodist Protestant Church. This church was built and opened June 18, 1899. The first church was at what is now the northeast corner of Bedford Street and Henderson Avenue. At the time the congregation worshipped here, it was difficult to carry on the service due to the constant noise made by passing trains. This congregation had been organized in 1837. From Bedford Street near Centre Street the congregation moved into a new church on Frederick Street Extended. The church in South Cumberland was known as Mapleside Church.

Melvin United Methodist Church started as a Methodist Protestant Church in 1905. In 1968 the name was changed to Melvin United Methodist Church. The church started in a little frame house at 264 Baltimore Pike (Avenue). Reverend William A. Melvin, Pastor of the Bedford Street Methodist Protestant Church, offered his services to this group. Reverend Melvin's mother loaned the first floor of a house in the rear of 134 Reynolds Street for services. The




ID:
achm182

Page #:
182

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image