Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
January 27, 1904, the pastor and family moved into the second floor of the Ohr residence and converted the first floor into a place for divine worship. On April 5, 1904, the building committee decided to tear down the Ohr house and erect a church on the site. The Central Congregation, during the building of the new church, worshiped with the Bedford Street Methodist congregation. On October 9, 1904, the cornerstone of the new church was laid by the Masonic Order. The church was opened for services in 1905. Now the church is known as the Central United Methodist Church, 15 South George Street, Cumberland, Maryland.
In 1898, Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church South had a congregation of 18 or 20 who met at Robert's Hall on Virginia Avenue. Reverend J. H. Kuhlmann was the Pastor. He did not think the Hall was suitable for church services, so he set out to see what could be done to better the condition of the congregation. A meeting was held on Thursday, May 26 at 2:00 PM at the corner of Grand Avenue and First Street to select a location for Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church South. On May 2 the Pastor reported that a site for the church was purchased on Grand Avenue between First and Second Streets. On July 1, 1898, Trinity's force began the erection of a tabernacle 30 by 50 feet on their own lot. In August, 1898, Trinity Congregation began excavating for a more permanent place of worship before winter set in, and erected a chapel 30 by 50 feet on the rear of the lot. At the end of a conference held September 22, 1898, the congregation decided to build a brick chapel 30 by 50 feet with stone foundation. The stone for the foundation was given by Bell Brothers and the McKaig & Company. The B&O Railroad hauled the stone to the Virginia Avenue railroad crossing free of charge. The Queen City Brick Company gave 8,000 bricks and Henry W. Bloucher gave 6,000 bricks. C. Miller gave $56.00 for slate for the roof and Henry Miltenberger gave
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976