Cumberland, Maryland (Entertainment)
6. When did parades take place in Cumberland? Describe some of them.
On August 18, 1869, the corner stone of the Independent Methodist Church on the corner of South Centre and Union Streets, now the site of the telephone building, was laid. The Masonic Order was in charge. A parade of Masons was held from the Masonic Headquarters on Baltimore Street to the church site.
On May 29, 1871, a program of memorial ceremonies for Decoration Day was held. First, a parade of three divisions was held. Chief Marshal was R. L. Gross. The parade formed on Baltimore Street near the St. Nicholas Hotel, now the G. C. Murphy building, and moved promptly at 1:00 PM. The line of march was Baltimore Street to Mechanic Street, Mechanic Street to Blue Spring Alley, now the site of the Department of Unemployment, Blue Spring Alley to Centre Street, Centre to Bedford Street, to Decatur Street, to Baltimore Street, to Washington Street, to Smallwood Street, to Fayette Street, and to Rosehill Cemetery, where appropriate ceremonies were held.
On September 24, 1892, the Junior Order United American Mechanics paraded through the downtown streets. The parade was led by ten mounted policemen. The Cumberland City Band, and 2nd Batallion Drum Corps, furnished music. After the parade, nearly all in the parade, and many others, boarded streetcars to Narrows Park for the picnic.
On April 16, 1894, Coxey's Army headed by General Jacob S. Coxey marched down through the Narrows on Route 40, the National Road, from where, at Locust Grove, the group had spent two days. The Army paraded down Mechanic Street to the lock at the canal basin where they boarded canal boats for
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976