Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Lock 38 during 1924 flood ( more details)

Lock 38 during flood Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


This picture most likely records the 1924 flood that resulted in the closure of the C&O Canal. The building on the right was a store that sold feed and likely also other supplies, while the lockhouse that stood between the towpath and the river is on the left. That lockhouse often flooded, but survived until finally being destroyed by the 1936 flood.
When the engineers designed the line of the canal they attempted to keep it as high and as far from the river as possible. Largely because of the adjacent high land, the canal along this part of the river follows the river bank for nearly twelve miles to Dam 4, making it highly vulnerable to floods.


Public domain

Mile 72.8
NPS File 952


Collection Location:
C&O National Historic Park

Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Maryland, 1824-1938

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image