Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Botelers Mill ( more details)

Cement for construction of canal Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


Boteler's Mill, also known as Potomac Mill, is seen on the West Virginia shore of the Potomac, downriver from Shepherdstown. Boteler’s Mill dam was made of wooden cribs filled with rubble stones and covered with planks, and provided water to the mill. The mill produced the cement that was used extensively in the early construction of the canal.

According to Thomas Hahn & Emory L. Kemp’s Cement Mills Along the Potomac River, Boteler’s Mill was build prior to 1828 and was originally supposed to be a “Local Merchant Mill” (grist mill) built by Dr. Henry Boteler and George Reynolds. In 1828 they discovered limestone on their property and contacted the C&O Canal about contracting them to create cement for the construction of locks. They were used extensively until the Round Top Cement Mill was constructed in 1837. The barrels of cement would be transported across the river to the river inlet lock on the C&O Canal downstream of Bridgeport.

In 1861, the Mill was burned by Federal troops on August 19. The operation had intermittently mill both cement and flour prior to the Civil War and would switch exclusively to cement after it was rebuilt in 1867. The mill would be in operation until 1900 and then officially closed by 1916.

The Botelers mill dam also assisted the ferries crossing from Maryland to Virginia by adding to the depth of the water in the river.

Packhorse Ford was located half a mile below the mill.



71.39 Mile

This photograph comes from the Davies collection in the Western Maryland Room.

1890 ?

Collection Location:
Western Maryland Room, WCFL

Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Maryland, 1824-1938

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image