Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Conococheague Aqueduct ( more details)

Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


The Conococheague Aqueduct was completed in late 1835. This picture of the aqueduct was taken after the aqueduct wall had collapsed and been rebuilt in 1920 and before the 1936 flood when the wood repairs were washed away. The photograph is looking up the Conococheague Creek toward Williamsport. Before the construction had finished in 1835, Eli Beatty had already applied for the use of the water from the flume that would be constructed on the upstream side of the aqueduct. The use of water power at Williamsport would power multiple milling operations.


H. Frank Beidel [?]

Public domain

From On the line of the Western Maryland, date unknown.

Collection Location:
Western Maryland Room, WCFL

From On the line of the Western Maryland, date unknown.

Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md.); Washington County (Md.), History

Maryland, 1824-1938

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image